Traditional Chinese serves as the building blocks to learning Simplified Chinese at our Mandarin Immersion Academy.
At ICIA, we believe in giving your child the best possible foundation in Mandarin Chinese, and that's why we're committed to teaching traditional before simplified Chinese. Here's why:
- Cultural Richness: Traditional Chinese characters are a window into China's rich cultural heritage. By learning traditional characters, your child gains access to centuries of Chinese literature, art, and history, fostering a deeper understanding and appreciation of Chinese culture.
- Global Reach: While simplified characters are commonly used in mainland China, traditional characters are still widely used in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and among Chinese communities worldwide. Learning traditional Chinese equips your child with a more versatile skill set that extends beyond borders.
- Enhanced Cognitive Development: The complexity of traditional Chinese challenges young minds and promotes cognitive growth. This helps improve memory, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail, which are valuable life skills.
- Stronger Language Foundation: Learning traditional Chinese first provides a solid linguistic foundation. Transitioning to simplified characters becomes smoother, as your child already understands the underlying structures and meanings of the characters.
- Preservation of Tradition: By learning traditional Chinese, your child contributes to the preservation of a beautiful and ancient script. This fosters a sense of pride and connection to their Chinese heritage.